Pages

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

mermaid obsession





Is anyone else as obsessed with mermaids as me???

For as long as I can remember I have loved mermaids,
while other little sprites pretended to be fairies I was always the one hanging by the rockpools having conversations with my aquatic imaginary friends..
The ironic things I don't even like to swim that much,
I just get too cold,
so I decided that I am an equatorial mermaid,warm waters only..
In fact that is the only thing I don't like about Sydney,
water is too cold,
So what do I do?
I draw them...
I imagine a life of sea horse stables,underwater gardens,shimmering treasures and boutique tail shops,
I make them....
have you ever noticed how few mermaid dolls and toys there are
in this world?
 And I read about them....
to myself and my kids,in fact I am slowly making my daughter as obsessed as I am..
I recommend that every mother at very least,
read to their children some classics,
'little obelia' in the snugglepot and cuddlepie series,by May Gibbs

and if you can find it ,
'pearl pinky and sea greenie'by Pixie o'harris
 
both beautifully illustrated,whimsical Australian stories,
you will fall under the sirens spell as I and many sailors have.....
I promise!
littlemissdoily x




No comments:

Post a Comment